About the Architect

About the Architect 

Raymond A. Freeburg

A prominent architect at Jamestown, New York, Raymond A. Freeburg was widely known for his work throughout all Western New York and Northwestern Pennsylvania. The excellence of his design won him many important contracts, particularly for churches and school buildings, although he also did much work of a more general nature with notable success. Few men at his age achieved so notable a career in the field of their chosen occupation.

Mr. Freeburg was born in Jamestown, on December 29, 1893, a son of John A. and Anna Sophia (Swanson) Freeburg, both of whom were born in Sweden and came to the United States while still young, the father being a cabinetmaker by trade.

Raymond A. Freeburg attended the public schools of his birth place and later undertook the course of study at the Carnegie Institute of Technology, from which he was graduated in 1917 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During the period of United States’ participation in the World War, Mr. Freeburg entered the service, being mustered out after some months of activity in December 1918. In January 1919, he entered business at Jamestown, and since that time gave his attention to architectural work to which he was early attracted. He soon built up a wide following in this section as the result of the successful completion of several important contracts, and throughout a period of years the demands for his services constantly increased.

Among other notable buildings, Mr. Freeburg was architect for the Bethlehem Lutheran Church at Falconer, New York; the Youngsville High School, at Youngsville, Pennsylvania; the Bethel Lutheran Church, at Jamestown, New York; the Messiah Lutheran Church at Ashtabula, Ohio; the Fairmont Avenue School at Jamestown; Sherburne NY High School; the high school, at Sardinia, New York; the Lutheran Headquarters Building at the Chautauqua Grounds; the high school at Angelica, New York; the Seneca Avenue School at Warren, Pennsylvania; the high school at Panama, New York; the high school at Rome, Pennsylvania; the high school at Celoron, New York; the Jamestown Printing Concern Building, at Jamestown; the Merz building in this city, and many others of equal importance in Pennsylvania and New York. Mr. Freeburg was a licensed architect in both of these States.

In addition to his commercial projects, Mr. Freeburg designed private residences throughout the region including several in Jamestown.

Politically a member of the Republican Party, Mr. Freeburg was affiliated fraternally with Mr. Moriah Lodge, No. 145, of the Free and Accepted Masons, and was a member of the Holy Trinity Lutheran church, at Jamestown, taking an active part in all church work. He also contributed liberally to many agencies of civic advancement and to various worthy charitable enterprises, and was considered throughout the community a progressive, public-spirited citizen of the finest type.

On November 3, 1918, Raymond A. Freeburg married Esther A. M. Anderson of Jamestown, formerly of Bradford, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Andres P. and Mathilda C. Anderson, the father before his death being a well-known oil producer in the oil region surrounding Rew City, Pennsylvania, and owner of the rich oil field known as "The Kirk." Mr. and Mrs. Freeburg were the parents of one child, Patricia Andrea.
Share by: